An In-Depth Guide to Symptoms of Mold Exposure

 When you think of mold, the first thing that comes to your mind might be a loaf of bread that you’ve had for one week too long that’s begun to turn green. This kind of mold isn’t where the danger lies. There are very many species of mold that can grow insidiously in your home, leading to health complications with yourself as well as among those in your household. Everyone in your home is at some level of risk to experience health issues related to mold exposure.

 Mold related health issues can vary from mild and maybe not even apparent, to potentially lethal and very severe. Now you may be wondering “What are some of the symptoms of mold exposure?” Below, you will find our guide that will walk you through some of the more common symptoms of mold exposure on the varying levels of severity.

Mild Mold Exposure Symptoms

The effects of mold exposure can range from as mild as seasonal allergies, to some severe long-term health complications that may include hospitalization. In a mild case of mold exposure, it is common to experience symptoms such as…

  • Headaches
  • Skin irritation such as rashes or hives
  • Ear infection
  • Feelings of chest tightness
  • Increased work of breathing
  • Eye irritation
  • Body aches
  • Sinus irritation or congestion

Many of these mild symptoms of long-term mold exposure can present themselves as though you have cold or seasonal allergies. If you begin to experience similar symptoms for a prolonged period it might be time to visit your doctor. In addition, look around your home for a potential source of the problem.

More Severe Symptoms of Mold Exposure

On this end of the spectrum, symptoms of mold exposure are more significant and severe, making them harder to mistake for another illness. You may notice manifestations such as…

  • Night sweats
  • Increased fatigue levels
  • GI upset in the form of nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
  • Vertigo or dizziness
  • Hemoptysis (coughing up blood)
  • Increased urination accompanied by excessive thirst

If you know you have been exposed to mold or these symptoms are abnormal for you, a visit to your doctor is warranted.

Everyone will experience symptoms to mold exposure differently. Especially if they already have a chronic illness that they live with that may affect their respiratory tract and/or immune system.

Above we have listed some of the more serious symptoms that are related to mold exposure over time. Unfortunately, the long-term effects of mold exposure can become even more severe than those symptoms above.

Severe symptoms or disease processes that can manifest, related to long term mold exposure include…

  • Toxic damage could occur to the liver or kidneys
  • Damage to the brain
  • Lung problems such as pneumonia or bronchitis
  • Those who suffer from asthma may experience asthma attacks
  • Damage to the senses such as hearing or vision loss
  • Worst-case scenario, cancer could develop, as some toxic mold species act as carcinogens

Mold can be more deadly than it is given credit for. However, the purpose of this article is not to cause fear. Instead, the goal here is to educate about the signs and symptoms of mold exposure. Anyone is at risk to encounter mold, especially over a prolonged period if it is not in a visible area. At home, a place of work, or just a frequented location could all be harboring toxic mold that no one is aware of. That is why it is important to know how your body might be trying to tell you that you were exposed to mold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *